Summer is the season for fresh and vibrant desserts, and nothing quite captures that essence like a classic strawberry shortcake from Simple: Over 100 Recipes in 60 Minutes or Less. The combination of juicy strawberries, fluffy cake, and airy whipped cream is the perfect way to indulge in the sweet flavors of the season. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can create a mouthwatering strawberry shortcake that is sure to impress your family and friends at any summer gathering.
Yield: 6 Servings | Active Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 1 Hour and 15 Minutes
- 2 lbs. strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the strawberries and ¼ cup of sugar in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the mixture sit until the strawberries start to release their juice, about 45 minutes.
- Place the flour, baking powder, remaining sugar, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the heavy cream very slowly and beat with a handheld mixer until a smooth dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll it out into a 9 x 6-inch rectangle that is approximately ¾” thick. Use a floured biscuit cutter or mason jar to cut size rounds from the dough. Place the rounds on a greased baking sheet, place the sheet in the oven, and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Starting at the equator, cut each of the cakes in half. Place a dollop of the Whipped Cream on top of one of the halves, followed by a few scoops of the strawberries and their juices. Top with the other half and serve.
This recipe from Simple: Over 100 Recipes in 60 Minutes or Less, is a prime example of how simple ingredients and preparation can yield a delicious dessert that's perfect for any occasion. The Simple cookbook is a must-have for anyone looking to simplify their kitchen and cooking routine, with recipes that are sure to impress. Give this recipe a try and experience the joy of summer in every bite.